Saturday, December 28, 2019

How I Stretch Canvas

A series of pictures showing how I put together stretcher bars and stretch my own canvas. My favorite part is at the end of the process when I soak the stretched canvas with water from my outside well spigot. The water gives the canvas a nice final stretch. I love doing my own canvases for oil painting, especially with larger pieces. I buy pre-cut stretcher bars from an online company, and they also offer wood supports that criss-cross the frame. Putting together my own stretcher bars gives better protection against warping, and I always have peace of mind that my painting bones are solidly constructed.

Canvas stretcher bars: https://www.stretcherbarwarehouse.com/best-canvas-stretcher-bar-p/1-1-4-stretcher-bars.htm

Canvas: Right now since I don’t go through a lot, I buy large pre-gessoed rolls from the local Hobby Lobby. Be sure to use your 40% coupon on the app!
















No comments:

Post a Comment