10. A break from outside chores.
9. Having a wood burning fireplace in our living room that burns fires 24/7 in our home this time of year. We have an insert stove that blows the warm air into the house which keeps us toasty and gives great ambience.
8. Decorating! We pick out a live Christmas tree every year which is a family tradition for us and kicks off our winter decor. Our tree keeps the house smelling great and makes for a fun trip just picking it out at a local tree farm. Other things I like to put out are wreaths on my doors, Christmas cards to neighbors, and Christmas bed spreads on our mattresses.
7. Snuggling with my kiddos and hubby.
6. Getting snowed in for a couple of days! Of course you will want a bit of a stock pile before that happens.
5. Catching up on old DVD series. Some of my favorites are: Anne of Green Gables, Avonlea, Mama's Family, Golden Girls, Designing Women, and Lark Rise to Candleford (BBC).
4. Catching up on reading or here lately I have been working on my own book which I hope to post more about later. One book I really enjoyed reading recently was The Hunger Games. It's part of a series, though, and I started the second book but did not think it was as good as the first. I still mean to finish it, and maybe the third will be better.
3. Watching birds eat from feeders with my kids. I have several hanging outside our large living room windows, and keep them filled so the birds will always come back.
2. Comfort foods, especially hot tea or coffee.
1. The holidays and keeping up with old traditions while starting new ones. We also try to make time for extended family gatherings which I hope instills enjoyment in our children so that they can make it a priority for their own families when they are older and are asked to spend time with us oldsters.