Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Borrowing irises


Today, we visited my grandma's house, and unfortunately my grandpa had to be taken to St. Vincent in Indianapolis for heart problems.  So far it seems that he is stable, but tomorrow will be telling when they are able to assess how much damage has been done to his heart.  Praying for the best and hoping they can help him get well.

While I waited to hear about my grandpa, I decided to dig up some old irises that my grandma had planted years ago in a now grown up area of their yard.  I am amazed that the plants were still coming up. The little beauties were popped up here and there, poking their broad leaves through a prison cell of weeds.  I felt bad for them, as silly as that sounds, and I dug up every single iris that I could find, promising them a new home full of sunshine and {mostly} weed free.

Grandma was so kind to let me have her irises, and I know at one time they were lovely in her yard.  She can’t get out and garden like she used to, and grandpa's hobby of planting trees has overtaken their property. 

I have been working on our yard a lot lately, trying to get some perrenials in the ground before the cold weather sets in and winterizing the plants I already have established.


Last week I worked very hard on a raised flower bed and a small garden under my bird feeders in particular.  I bought a large bag (3 cubic feet) of peat moss for ten bucks at lowe's which I thought was a bargain since a bag of miracle grow at 2 cubic feet is around fifteen dollars.  I also bought several bags of regular peet which is much denser and dark to mix in with the peet moss.  I found five bags of starter soil by the peet for like 90 cents a bag on clearance, so you know I picked that up as well!  Always check that clearance aisle.

I have still been canning and processing like a mad woman, but I admit I am about burned out.  I got another bag of tomatoes and peppers from my uncle's garden today, and usually they are not so bad to can into sauce or salsa, but I am about at the end of my rope. One item in particular that has done me in are apples.  They have got to be my least favorite thing to cut and puree, and all of my family and neighbors have tons of them.  Once they find out you are canning apples they cannot wait to pawn some of theirs off on you.  Apples always have worms and bruises to cut out, not to mention the fickle cores.  And then the peels, THE PEELS are murder to get off.  Next year I’ll probably just buy applesauce from the store.

On a side note, my husband Adam is back for another round at the doctors.  This week was a CT scan of his throat, a visit with an allergist, and in a couple of days off to a natural healer.  We are still struggling for answers, but taking it one day at a time because what else can you do?  Every night I pray he will come out of this sickness and get better.

And as for my book, I am about to send it off to a couple friends for their opinions/edits.  I cannot wait to share more with you, including the entire manuscript, and I hope you enjoyed the little bit I shared a few posts back.  Writing is a joy and gives me freedom to drift away.

No comments:

Post a Comment