Saturday, August 11, 2012

Freezer corn

Freezer corn day! Every summer my mom, sister Nicole and I take a day and process 4 bushels (5 dozen ears are in a bushel) of sweet corn from a local farmer's market and they usually throw in a few extra for good measure which is super nice. Then I throw in any other ears I have gotten from family members who have shared their extra.

To prepare the corn for the freezer we shuck the ears pulling all the silks we can off and then rinse them. Then the corn is boiled several minutes until the color turns deep yellow. We cool the corn under cold sink water and then using a sharp knife cut the corn from the ear, careful to get all the pulp without digging into the cob. Then, using freezer baggies we use a 1cup measuring cup and scoop four cups of corn in each bag. Press all the air out and it will keep at least a year in the deep freeze.

Usually, I take at least half the corn we process because I have extra freezer space and we are sweet corn lovers. Then my mom and sister split the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment